Some cats enjoy using the Litter-Robot and think it’s an amusement ride. They interrupt the cleaning cycle by riding the walls, running up, and attacking the robot while it’s cycling. Such activities can trigger an over-torque.
In today’s article, we’ll discuss other potential causes of the problem and how to fix the Litter-Robot over-torque fault. Keep on reading!
What Is The Litter-Robot Over-Torque Fault
Torque is the force that produces the rotation of the Litter-Robot. If there’s an over-torque fault, it means the engine of the Litter-Robot has produced more torque or power than the manufacturer of the robot recommends.
When the engine power exceeds the maximum capacity for the given operating condition, it can cause internal damage to the robot’s engine.
Possible Causes of Over-Torque Fault
The following are the typical causes of why your Litter-Robot is having torque issues:
1. Motor Obstruction
The globe of the Litter-Robot can get jammed at one point while using the litter box. This causes the motor to stop and will display yellow and red lights blinking in sequence.
Recommended: How to fix yellow light flashing in Litter Robot
2. Too Much Weight in the Globe
One common scenario is when there’s too much litter inside the globe. If the globe is overfilled with litter, the excess can get stuck during a cleaning cycle.
3. The Bonnet Isn’t Seated Properly
Another possible cause of an over-torque fault is when the bonnet of the Litter-Robot isn’t properly seated on its base. This will restrict the globe from rotating or interrupt the cleaning mid-cycle.
4. The Litter-Robot Has Malfunctioned
If you have tried troubleshooting your Litter-Robot and nothing seems to fix the problem, there might be a malfunction in the device. This happens when there’s a problem with the motor, and it usually requires technical service.
How To Fix Over-Torque Fault?
Here are the procedures you can do to fix the over-torque issue:
1. Reboot Your Litter-Robot
Sometimes, the Litter-Robot might just be acting up, so try rebooting the device.
Empty the globe by removing the litter, then press the reset button on the robot. After that, unplug the Litter-Robot for 10 seconds and plug it back in. Let it complete a cleaning cycle.
Users Also Read: Litter Robot vs Catlink in-depth comparison
2. Manually Reset the Unit
Devices need occasional resetting which allows them to function properly. This way, the Litter-Robot reverts to its default setting and performs the way it was when you first purchased it.
You can reset the unit by following these simple steps:
- Turn off and unplug the Litter-Robot.
- Remove the bonnet and globe, and set them aside.
- Examine the exterior top portion of the base where the globe is positioned.
- Check if there’s any residue or trails of dried-up liquids.
- Get rid of obstructions or excess litter.
- Reattach the bonnet and globe, and make sure the tabs are inserted correctly.
- Lock the black key found at the back of the globe.
- Plug in the Litter-Robot and turn it on.
- Let it perform a complete cleaning cycle.
After these procedures, the Litter-Robot should return to its Home position with the blue light on.
Some reminders when resetting the Litter-Robot:
- Be careful when you’re handling the globe.
- When removed from the robot, place the globe on a flat surface to avoid rolling.
- The maximum weight of litter the robot should have is 10 pounds.
- The litter shouldn’t exceed the raised fill line on the globe.
3. Ensure the Absence of Objects
Cats, especially kittens, can be extra playful and energetic. Sometimes, they may place something heavy inside the globe. Small objects, even cat litter, can get stuck in the rotation mechanism.
Make sure to double-check in there before turning on the Litter-Robot.
It’s recommended to clean the inside of the globe every one to three months. This way, you’ll be able to prevent cat litter from getting stuck in the rotation mechanism of the Litter-Robot.
Here are the procedures to properly clean the interior of your globe:
- Press the “Empty” button of your Litter-Robot to turn the globe clockwise.
- Let the litter fall into the waste drawer. Make sure that the globe is empty by sweeping off any remaining litter towards the waste port.
- Return the globe to its “Home” position by pressing any button.
- Turn off and unplug the Litter-Robot.
- Remove the bonnet by pressing and releasing the tabs on both sides.
- Lift and rotate the bonnet, and set it aside.
- Carefully lift the globe off from its base and clean the globe using a cleaner spray.
Just a quick tip: If you don’t have a cleaner spray at home, you can use mild soap and water. Never use bleach as this can damage the material.
- If the globe has become immensely dirty, soak the globe and clean it using a water hose.
- Once the globe is completely dry, reassemble it to its base and reattach the bonnet.
4. Take Your Litter-Robot to Maintenance
If you’ve already tried everything that was mentioned above and there’s still an over-torque fault, there’s probably a technical issue with the motor which requires professional help.
Related: Litter-Robot Keeps Getting Stuck
1. How Much Does A Cat Have To Weight To Use The Litter-Robot?
A cat needs to be at least three pounds to use the device. Even if you have a big cat, as long as it can enter the globe and use the Litter-Robot comfortably, your cat’s weight wouldn’t matter.
However, if the kitten is lighter than three pounds, the device won’t register its weight and may think it’s empty and thus, rotate while the kitten is inside.
2. Can I Spray Out My Litter-Robot?
Litter-Robot is made with standard plastics so it’s recommended to clean the robot as needed. Simply wipe it down using a damp paper towel and a mild detergent soap. Never use harsh chemicals such as bleach as this can damage the plastic.
Remember: Clean the Litter-Robot using a damp paper towel, don’t spray directly on the unit.
3. Are There Any Electrical Wires Inside The Globe?
No, the globe doesn’t have any electrical wires inside it. This is also the reason why it’s perfectly okay to soak the globe in water when cleaning.
4. How Often Do I Need To Add Cat Litter?
One of the best features of the Litter-Robot is its patented sifting system which efficiently separates dirty litter from clean ones. This means you don’t have to add cat litter often.
With the Whisker App, you can also track the litter level in real-time and it notifies you when it’s time to add cat litter to the globe.